1. What does “aqua vitae” mean? Why was this name given to distilled wine in the 13th century?
2. What were three arguments that Christians used to justify slave trade?
3. What was grog? How did it give English sailors an advantage over French sailors?
4. When did distilled drinks become more popular for their ability to intoxicate quickly and easily? What distilled drink became popular in Ireland? What about in England?
5. What role did rum play among slaves in the Caribbean?
6. What role did spirits play in the slave trade? What are two reasons that brandy was a better form of currency than wine?