Due July 22nd
Write a 625- to 850-word paper. The Latino/Hispanic group is the only ethnic category counted separately by the United States Census. According to the U.S. Census, a Latino/Hispanic person can be of any race.
Describe the variability within the larger “Latin American” group, as defined by the U.S. Census, including the racial differences.
Include in the paper:
· When this census category became official (the first time it was used in the United States Census)
· At least five distinctive subgroups that belong under this broad category
· How people from Africa, both slaves and freemen, became part of the Latino population in Mexico, Central and South America, and the U.S.
· How Africans in Mexico, Central and South America were absorbed into the Hispanic population, while generally being kept separate in the U.S.
· How colorism affects membership within the Hispanic/Latino group today (i.e. a Mexican who is Black)
· The role of language
· The role of religion
· The role of culture
Format your paper consistent with appropriate course-level APA guidelines.