Would like assistance with answers to the following questions. Thank you!
- How did secession come about, and where did the sentiments for it originate?
- Discuss the Upper South’s reaction to the secession of the Lower South?
- According to Jefferson Davis, what was the South fighting for, and what did they need to do to achieve independence?
- Why did Lincoln dismiss General McClellan?
- What did “total war” mean in the context of the Civil War?
- Briefly, how did the North and South mobilize resources with which to fight the war? How was the war financed?
- What was contraband, and how was it controversial?
- Why did Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation when he did and what did it mean?
- What were the consequences of the victories at Vicksburg and Gettysburg happening at the same time?
- After Vicksburg, what did Grant think of the “cautious tactics of previous Union commanders”?
- What was General Sherman’s “hard war,” what was his “bold strategy” after taking Atlanta, and how did he justify his unconventional plan to Grant and Lincoln?
- What was the reasoning behind the need for the Thirteenth Amendment?
- Was the Civil War necessary? Many argue that it was not, that slavery would have died out within a few decades (it certainly would have, that’s unquestionable), and that the war was a tremendous loss of money, lives, and resources that could have been avoided. What do you think?