International treaties are an important facet of diplomacy. Whether large or small, binding or non-binding in nature, they are a crucial tool in a toolkit that can—when done properly—help prevent wars, economic calamity, human suffering, environmental degradation, arms proliferation, and any number of negative effects.
For this class activity, please select an international treaty and respond with the following:
1) Name, year signed, and countries involved
2) Purpose of the treaty. (Why was it needed?)
3) What role did the U.S. play, if any? What commitments did the U.S. make?
4) According to your research, what have been the effects of this treaty? Is it viewed as successful, unsuccessful, or a mixed bag?
5) Anything else you’d like share from your findings!