M6A2: Therapeutic Value of Stem Cells Worksheet
Stem cells are the basis for every organ and tissue in our bodies. We continually rely on stem cells to replace and rejuvenate tissues lost every day, such as hair, blood, and skin. Stem cells have two important properties: self-renewal (making copies) and differentiation, which lead to the cells that make up our organ and tissue systems.
Completing this activity will assist you in mastering Module Level Outcome 1.
- Understanding Stem Cells [PDF, file size 974 KB] from the National Academies
- Stem Cell Facts (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. [PDF, file size 360.11 KB] from the International Society for Stem Cell Research
- What are stem cells? (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. [Video, 04:10 mins] – Craig A. Kohn
Next, submit the following:
- Download a copy of the therapeutic value of stem cells worksheet [doc, file size 44.5 KB] in a Word document format, complete all of the questions, and then save and submit it.
You are also encouraged to do your own research through our library on the topic. Do not forget to include in-text citations and complete APA style references for all sources. The Excelsior Library Citation Tip Sheets and Resources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. will be a helpful guide. You may also wish to use a citation generator – you just insert the information, and it creates the citation in the format you indicate (MLA or APA, for example). Here are 3 citation generators to choose from:
- Citation Machine (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Bibme (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- EasyBib (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Compose your work in a .doc or .docx file type using a word processor (such as Microsoft Word, etc.) and save it frequently to your computer. For those assignments that are not written essays and require uploading images or PowerPoint slides, please follow uploading guidelines provided by your instructor.
Check your work and correct any spelling or grammatical errors. When you are ready to submit your work, click “Upload Submission.” Enter the submission title and then click on “Select a file to upload.” Browse your computer, and select your file. Click “Open” and verify the correct file name has appeared next to Submission File. Click on “Continue.” Confirm submission is correct and then click on “Accept Submission & Save.”
This course has Turnitin fully integrated into the course dropbox. This means that you should only submit your assignments to the dropbox below. Please do not submit your assignment directly to Turnitin.com.
Once submitted, your assignment will be evaluated by Turnitin® automatically. You will be able to view an Originality Report within minutes of your first submission that will show how much of your work has been identified as similar too other sources such as websites, textbooks, or other student papers. Use your Originality Report as a learning tool to identify areas of your assignment that you may not have cited appropriately.