Overview: This week we will turn our attention to the day-to-day operations of international actors in a human rights crisis. After six weeks, we are now ready to look at an actual case and analyze the role of various organizations responding to it.
We will use the conflict in Panama over the building of Hydroelectric dams on Ngabe Bugle lands, since it is recent, widely reported, and involved a complex interaction of major actors. . To familiarize yourself with the background and humanitarian needs created by this disaster, I recommend you follow the following steps:
1. Access Web Resources within Course Materials
2. Conduct a World Wide Web Search of the case
3. You may also check out the hundreds of Internet sites that deal with indigenous rights.
Your assignment will be to assume a role as a representative of the Panamanian Government, United Nations Official or transnational NGO, a leader of the ngabe bugle, OAS official, a United States Representative and offer a position paper (4 pg) on the following points:
1. The historical facts of the crisis
2. The gap between the positions held by the major parties.
3. The impact of continued conflict or resolution
4. A recommendation