MEIJI and TAISHO history
What happened in the Meiji Era?
How was society structured?
Who formulated the revolution or WHO overthrew the government?
Who was the head of the government?
What was the attitude toward China?
Who were the Genro and was their role? Was it defined in the constitution?
Know the circumstances around Japan’s annexation of Korea in 1910
What excuse did Japan use to take away Korea from China and then annex Korea in 1910?
- SHOWA history
- Why flaws in the constitution made it possible for the military to take over the government prior to WWII
- Was the takeover of China by the Japanese government in the 1930s a carefully planned out scheme?
- Who wrote the present-day Japanese constitution?
- What is Article 9 of the Japanese constitution? How has it restricted the role of Japan in international disputes?
- JAPANESE SOCIETY
- What does the idea of relativism mean when referring to the idea of right and wrong in Japanese groups.
- Know the meaning and the difference between “attribute” and “frame” in Chie Nakane’s book, Japanese Society.
- JAPANESE ECONOMY
- What was the economic bubble?
- When did the Japanese economy take a nose-dive?
- KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT CHOPSTICK ETIQUETTE and CUSTOMS
- What things may you not do with chopsticks?
- What is the custom concerning tipping in Japan?
Know the following people
- Hayao Miyazaki
- Osamu Tezuka
- Akira Kurosawa
- ANNUAL EVENTS in JAPANESE CULTURE
- Know when SHOGATSU and OBON are celebrated.
- Know what religions are associated with SHOGATSU and OBON